Mandate: The focus of the Advocacy and Government Relations Committee is to advance and promote molecular biosciences, with a focus on advocating for robust and sustainable funding for fundamental research in Canada. While CSMB continues working with both our partners Research Canada and the Partnership Group for Science and Engineering, the committee is mandated to develop its own advocacy efforts to ensure that the concerns and solutions of CSMB members are heard on Parliament Hill.
Composition: CSMB President (chair), Vice-President, Past-Presidents, 2 Councillors and 3 CSMB members at large.
- Identify key concerns of members in regards to Federal Research Funding Issues and develop advocacy strategies to effectively convey issues and solutions to parliamentarians including, email campaigns, petitions, opinion pieces and meeting with members of parliament.
- Submit Pre-budget Consultations to House of Commons.
- Formally respond to the Budget and how it pertains to our members.
- Submit recommendations to federal panels as they arise.
- Build relationships with federal politicians
- Communicate with media.
- Establish social media presence to advance positions of CSMB.
Members of the Committee
University of Manitoba
IRCM – Université de Montréal
University of Ottawa
Université de Montréal
University of Toronto
University of British Columbia